I came back to Baguio (hometown) for a short holiday. A day before traveling back home, my friend, SJ, and I were chatting and the conversation went to
"Why don't you come with me to Baguio then?" (I asked)
"...I'll think about it."
A few minutes before she logged out, she sent me an SMS: "I'm going to Baguio with you!"
So, I guess she obtained parents' permission and whatever.
The next day, we met up and took the bus to Baguio. Before falling asleep, she turned to me and said:
"I want to experience Baguio in a different way -- not the normal tourist's thing."
Her statement reminded me of myself whenever I travel. I don't ever want the normal stuff that people do on tours. I want to experience it the way locals do. I guess not everyone is into the drop-by-tourist-site-and-take-lots-of-pictures-then-leave. :) That's not so bad but straying from the usual path leads you to discovering new treasures -- this doesn't just apply to traveling.
So, we arrived in Baguio 3:30AM on Halloween and we were greeted by the cold air of the morning. We took a cab home and buried ourselves under thick blankets until nine in the morning. My auntie told me she was going to the market, so I shook SJ awake so we could go with my auntie.
BAGUIO MARKET AT ~9AM
In my checklist, these are things that should be experienced when in Baguio...
1. HAVE COFFEE WHILE WATCHING THE SUNRISE.
2. VISIT THE MARKET! -- Try looking through the ukay-ukay too.
3. GO OUT AND SEE BURNHAM IN THE MORNING (full of activity).
4. HAVE A MEAL IN JACK's/50's DINER/SIZZLING PLATE.
5. HAVE COFFEE WHILE WATCHING THE SUNSET.
6. FIND A HIGH PLACE WHERE YOU CAN WATCH THE LIGHTS OF THE CITY AT NIGHT -- SM is good enough. :)
7. GATHER AROUND A FIRE WHILE TELLING STORIES.
8. TRY TAKING A BATH WITHOUT HEATING THE WATER (hahaha -- even I don't put up with the pure cold water :P).
well, the next two are just optional...
9. If you like 'partying', visit the bars, etc.
10. For Catholics (or interested tourists) go to Baguio Cathedral. It is a landmark of the city, after all.
**photos are shot by SJ, edited by me**